Florida’s population continues to grow each year and as a result, our residents have diverse backgrounds and experiences – especially when it comes to driving. This means that Florida drivers approach driving from many different perspectives and that can lead to issues and accidents.
Did You Know?
1. There were approximately 395,797 motor vehicle accidents in Florida in 2016. That is an average of almost 1,084 accidents a day which is up from 770 per day in 2012.
a. There are approximately 165,941 injuries that occur which means that about 42% of auto accidents in Florida cause at least one injury.
b. 2,936 motor vehicle crashes were fatal resulting in 3,177 deaths.
2. The top five reasons for auto accidents in Florida are:
a. Distracted Driving
b. DUI / Driving While Intoxicated
c. Speeding or Driving Too Fast
d. Reckless or Careless Driving
e. Not Paying Attention to Surroundings
3. More than 22,533 auto accidents in Florida involved alcohol.
a. Over 14,597 injuries were reported for the 22,533 of the alcohol related accidents.
b. Drunk drivers were responsible for over 50% of the total fatalities.
4. Which type of vehicles caused the most injuries and property damage on Florida roadways in 2016?
a. Passenger cars, vans, pickups & SUV’s topped the list.
b. Heavy trucks / tractor trailers were second.
c. Buses had the third most accidents.
5. Midnight to 2am on Friday nights is the time when most auto accidents and fatalities in Florida happen. If you have to be on the road during that time, be sure to use extra caution.
6. Florida’s tropical climate results in frequent and heavy rains and rain-storms throughout the year. Because of these weather patterns, it might seem natural to assume that the majority of car accidents in Florida happen either during rain, or on wet road surfaces.
It turns out that the vast majority (approximately 85%) of auto accidents in Florida take place on dry road surfaces. Bad weather only contributes to an estimated 6.5% of all motor vehicle accidents in Florida.
7. Most car accidents in Florida involve drivers between the ages of 25 and 34. (12,781 accidents 226 fatalities in 2016. Surprisingly, the least number of auto accidents involve drivers between the ages of 75 and 84 years ( 2,192 accidents & 49 fatalities in 2016)
8. Nearly half of all fatalities related to auto accidents in Florida involved passengers that did not wear a seat belt or safety restraint.
Staying Safe on Florida Roads
There are many factors that may contribute to car accidents, such as weather, traffic, road conditions, and even driver-related issues. No matter the cause of an accident, it is always important to be aware of your surroundings and prepared for the worst. Knowing what to do and who to contact after a car accident can help keep you safe and most importantly give you peace of mind.
Get The Help You Need and Deserve
If you or your passenger have been injured in an auto vehicle accident, or if you have lost a loved one as a result of an auto accident, we want to hear from you. It is important that when involved in a car accident that you have an experienced, Board Certified Trial Attorney on your side.
Hutch Brock, of Brock Law, is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney and represents victims of car accidents throughout Florida.
If you would like more information about your rights or learn how Brock Law can help you, call us at (813) 333-7267 or click here.
About the Author
P. Hutchison Brock, II
Hutch is Board Certified in both Civil Litigation by the Florida Bar. Hutch has extensive experience representing clients affected by Auto Accidents, other Personal Injury Claims, and related legal issues. If you are searching for an experienced and highly respected Personal Injury Attorney in Wesley Chapel, then send us a message. You can also call our office at (813) 333-7267 and I will answer all of your questions.